India Pakistan War | It’s a 30 year old proxy war. Still, Pakistan with “Bleed India through a thousand cuts” in mind, has been violating cease fires and different terrorist groups attacking Pathankot, Uri, Nagrota and now PULWAMA. What are the options for India in front of her?
Father of our nation, Mahatma Gandhi, always propagated non-violence. However, he also said that “Non-violence is the law of our species, as violence is the law of the brute”, but “where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence. I would rather have India resort to arms in order to defend her honour, than that she should, in a cowardly manner, become or remain a helpless witness to her own dishonour.”– M. K. Gandhi
The Question that arises here is, are we at the point where war is the only option? Let’s analyze in this edition of the Critical Thinkers:
War is an Option
- This grave provocation has crossed its threshold of tolerance.
- The enraged public, who needs a substantial answer for these continuous acts of violence.
- The level of preparedness of our defence is to prevent war, however if the limits get crossed, it can very well lead to a battle and win.
- State sponsored terror groups, Pakistan’s proxy wars and unaccountability of Pakistan can lead to an unstoppable spark.
- Response should be a national-level strategy to counter Pakistan’s proxy war. The actions should include overt and covert operations.
India Pakistan War is not an Option
If we keep aside the disastrous impacts of War on a country’s Economy, Infrastructure and Human Resource and talk solely about War preparedness:
- India is not fully prepared for the war. As per the parliamentary reports, most of our (~68%) defence equipment are vintage.
- As per the report, India can sustain the war only for 10 days for the same.
- In case of war, China will support Pakistan and it may compromise our situation, since we will be fighting a two front war at our most vulnerable points. The two front war is going to be disastrous.
- You can’t decide after a terrorist strike that you will go to war. You have to prepare for war.
- The nuclear preparedness is again one thing that should be kept in mind since both the countries and their allies have a nuclear umbrella. And the results are not something anyone wants. At last, if a situation like this arises, without boasting about it, you declare war.
Moreover, War is not an act of polity for one figure to stand tall and take credit to increase the vote bank. War is a freehand of the military and the politics should stay aside.
Comment on India Pakistan War
If war needs to be considered, it must be thought rationally, about its impact and keeping the end result in mind. The act of terror in Pulwama surely took lives of too many of our brave soldiers, however it may not be an act of war. War can jeopardize the whole democratic system and growth of India as a nation. We do not have trillions of dollars like Germany and Japan to recover quickly from the destruction of war. Thinking about the whole country and then taking a rational decision in nation’s interest is the duty of our leaders, which they are fulfilling diligently.
What should be the Way Forward?
- Management of our diplomacy with other countries, will be the strongest tool in our hand.
- Our recent initiatives like India and USA 2+2 dialogue, and deals with Russia like S400 etc. will surely come in handy.
- Military exercises with different nations to increase preparedness of our soldiers and defence forces.
- Stronghold on Ocean and Air is of paramount importance. Recent Naval Base in Andaman is one example of it.
- India needs to have a strong hand in issues like China–Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).
As Imran Khan said, What if miscalculation on either side leads to war?
To answer that war is an instrument of state policy. With the destructive power of modern weapons, war is no longer a viable option unless the most vital interests of a state are threatened. This can be a case, if these frequent attacks on Indian dignity continue. War can definitely be an option at that time.
FOLLOW US for quick updates and notifications: